Thursday, February 13, 2014

Month 5: Update 2

I apologize that I have not written in a while but, honestly, I havn't been very motivated or had the thinking skills to do so. I've been "busy". Not most people's busy with school and work, but my busy. Like people coming to see me, taking a shower more than every few days, going for car rides longer than 20 min, exerting any kind of energy without having a full day to rest.

I have to plan ahead for rest. If I have plans for Tuesday I then have to plan time for rest Monday and Wednesday. Exerting any kind of energy uses up spoons (if you don't know what I'm talking about then you should check out the "spoon theory". It's a great explanation for how chronically ill people live with lack of energy and fatigue -http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpress/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/).

I'm over halfway done with month five of treatment. This month has had a big focus on detoxing. When Dr.N said I wasn't detoxing the way he had wanted he placed me on additional supplements to encourage the process. Detoxing makes me exhausted, which normally is frustrating because I tend to not sleep. I feel as if I physically cannot do anything with these levels of fatigue. I am on a natural supplement of taurine which has helped to counteract the anxiety and levels of stress I experience when trying to sleep. So now when I'm exhausted I can actually rest. 

Because I've been sleeping better at night and taking lots of good naps during the day I've had more energy. I don't know what to do with this new energy though. It's not energy where I want to climb a mountain, but energy where I can walk up the stairs alone. Because of this energy I try to do things, but then I pay for it the next day.... Sometimes even a couple hours later. 

Fun News: I cleaned my bathroom for the first time in months! It was the worst job ever and I didn't touch the tub or floors... But I did something. I felt more human and capable. I was thourghly exhausted for a couple of days, but hey! It's a little bit of improvement! 

The first week of the new medication protocol I felt a noticeable change in my joint pain.  The pain seemed to be decreasing.  I'm on Plaquenil, which is used for people with arthritis, which makes sense as to why the pain was decreasing. But this medication is also used to kill the spirochetes when they clump together into cysts (trying to protect themselves from being killed). I was so enjoying the pain level not being so high, but after the first week it went back to normal. A little frustrating. However, at the same time it gave me hope of what my pain could feel like one day.

The taurine my Dr. put me on has been my lifesaver. It has helped with my mood swings, rage, anxiety, OCD, sleeping, and irritability.  When I start going a little crazy my family gently tells me to take a pill ;) It adds humor, which is medicine for any sickness.  It had also really helped with sleeping. I used to lay in bed till about 2am, when I'd finally start to feel tired. Now, I start getting sleepy around midnight. I'm not waking up as much (just like 6 times a night now), sleeping longer, and taking more restful naps during the day. 

Exciting Changes: My pain in my joints, spleen, heart, and chest has gotten better. I still have constant pain, but I don't have as many moments of debilitating pain. 

Not So Exciting: I feel more run-down, achy, nauseous, and blah- basically, I feel like I have the flu. The ringing in my ears is horrible and I'm super sensitive to sounds. This is causing a lot of headaches, migraines and pressure in my head. My skin, down to my bones and muscles, is also super sensitive. Did I mention naseous? Food sounds like poison to me. 

The past couple of weeks I've been feeling okay. My symptoms were tolerable. But over the past few days my symptoms have been going back to normal. But we think it's because I'm "cycling". Lyme Disease goes through cycles of when it's "tolerable" and "miserable". It seems for me every couple weeks there is a change in my pain level. Like for two weeks I see good changes with pain, sleeping, mood swings, and headaches. But then the next couple of weeks I feel like I go back to normal. 

So, there is a little update on me. In about a week and a half I will be starting month 6 of treatment. Hoping to just see a continuous good change in my symptoms. 

If there is something you want me to explain better or write about please let me know. I'm lacking creativity, ideas, and motivation. 

Energy Expelled: Took me 2 weeks to start writing. And 4 days to write this. I was halfway done and got super overwhelmed and anxious with thinking, staring at my screen and the ringing in my ears. 


~ H(hold) O(on) P(pain) E(ends) 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your honesty and vulnerability. It is very encouraging to hear your story and the raw emotions that go along with it. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beets, and beet juice are suppose to be really good in helping the liver detoxify.

    ReplyDelete