Thursday, June 12, 2014

Month 9(prt2):What Doesn't Kill You...

People say, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." At this point I think I can bench press a hummer. 

And the nonsense, dramatic, pathetic  stories continue. 

I tried starting my new IV antibiotic Wednesday morning. That didn't work out. My home nurse came over to change my dressing and hang out with me during my first infusion to make sure nothing went wrong. About 5 min into infusing, I noticed my PICC insertion area started stinging. She said it could be because of using it for the first time in a while. I then started scratching my head like crazy. I was complaining to her and mom how I needed a shower and how itchy my head was. I was shocked how itchy it was all of a sudden. Telling myself and them I possibly had lice and needed to shampoo my hair. I started getting hot and felt like my chest, stomach and face were on fire. I finally lifted my shirt up to find my skin was completely red! The redness spread up through my face, neck, ears, and head. It was itchy and hot! (If you can visualize this, I hope you're laughing). 

So of course, we stopped the infusion. Put some ice packs on me and took two Benadryl. My nurse called the IV company and they informed us I was experiencing 'red man syndrome'. Yeah, I'd never heard of it either. Basically, it's when vancomycin infuses too fast and you get a rash. A horrible rash. It's a reaction, but not an allergic reaction. And it's totally common. 

I slept the entire day away. Benadryl makes me exhausted. 

The solution? I was sent a device that will slow the infusion down to over a two hour time span (I do this twice a day) and take Benadryl 30 min before each time. For the next four weeks I will be sleeping or hooked to an IV. Haha! But hey! Sleeping=healing! 

I'll be trying the new plan tomorrow (Friday) morning. My nurse will be coming again incase anything happens. 

Today mom took me to my doctor's office to do a Myers' cocktail. I was so pleased it could be done through my PICC. I hate getting pricked. It tasted unpleasant and made me pee a lot. I haven't noticed a huge change. But I know my body is thankful for it. Good stuff to feed my body with. I feel like I had a little more energy today and am not as hungry though. I'll be trying to do those weekly.  

I feel like this Lyme Disease does not want to die and is pulling any obstical out of the book. But soon it will run out of ideas, and die, and I will be in remission dancing my face off! LD seriously doesn't stand a chance against a strong-willed Bekah. Plus, my God is stronger than any bacteria, infection or disease! Borrelia, babesia, and bartonella doesn't stand a chance against Jesus' blood. 


Energy Expelled: And there goes all the "extra" energy. I wonder if I can take a nap before bedtime ;) My hand is having some RA issues. I feel naseous, light-headed and dizzy. My legs are starting to hurt. And my spleen has been bothering me all day. And my PICC area... Whew! It itches and is bloatchy and burns. Can you believe one day I'll write under here "nothing"??!? I'll be healthy and blogs will be easy.



~ "Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." Dean Karnazes 






No comments:

Post a Comment